Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:23:40 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: EMI-Columbia split, was Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes

I believe one reason for the split was US Columbia's impatience with EMI taking until 1952 to get into long play records. A lot of HMV Beechams appeared on Capitol in the G series..I have one with a great misprint, Mozart's Overture to "The Marriage of Fagaro". (Don..you should be able to quote the entire previous message and then highlight the portions you want to delete..just left-click the mouse, hold it down and move the cursor over the unwanted passages, and then click "delete".) dl Don Tait wrote: > May I write something about the Columbia/EMI/Philips business in response > to Roger's message -- after I say that this software for some reason doesn't > permit me to select portions to which to reply? Thanks for your indulgence. > > Some of what I am about to write is based upon recollection, which can be > unreliable. Corrections will be welcome. However, here is the story as I know > it. > > Columbia USA and Columbia UK had exchange agreements from the first decade > of the twentieth century. Ownership of the two companies changed in many ways > until the 1940s, but the exchange agreement -- the ability to release each > others' recordings in each others' territories -- was unchanged. > > The connection between the two companies was dissolved in 1952, by which > time UK Columbia was part of EMI (as it had been for decades). Columbia USA > signed an agreement with Philips for release of Philips recordings in the USA > (after a year or so, primarily the Epic label) and for Philips to arrange for the > release of USA Columbia recordings in the UK and elsewhere. Also for Philips > to make recordings for USA Columbia in other countries. > > The most important factor in this, probably, was Sir Thomas Beecham. Until > the dissolution of the Columbia agreement he and the RPO had been recorded by > EMI (Columbia). The end of the contract meant that Philips engineers would do > it from then on. They did, almost always in EMI's various venues. Those > Beecham LPs were issued by USA Columbia and UK Philips until about 1955. In that > year, Beecham re-signed with HMV (EMI). That meant another change for him. > > To back up: when UK Columbia EMI lost its USA affiliate in 1952, it > established Angel Records in 1953. Early Angels all derive from UK Columbia. Victor > had its exchange agreement with HMV until early 1957. > > Beecham's first HMV LPs -- Schubert 6, Handel's Solomon and so on -- > appeared on Angel in the USA in 1956/7, probably because the HMV agreement with > Victor was about to expire. There were probably complicated issues, but I don't > know anything about them. If someone does, I hope you will write. Regardless, > USA Columbia went on issuing Beecham titles made earlier, including some of the > late Mozart symphonies, through 1955 or '56. Years after they were recorded > and when Angel was releasing new Beecham recordings. > > Don Tait > >