Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:12:15 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Rob Poretti <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Longevity

Actually, computer storage has reliability as a "reasonable" goal. But true long-term storage in IT circles actually revolves around failure detection, redundancy, error correction and eventual automated migration. These concepts are based on the knowledge that the hard drive *WILL* fail. A hard drive is not even a mid-term solution; but a managed hard drive "system" can certainly be a long term one. Cheers! Rob > -----Original Message----- > From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karl Miller > Sent: July 11, 2006 9:51 AM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity > > > On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, steven c wrote: > > > I would suspect that, rather than being intentional > economic-related > > decisions, it has more to do with the simple "nature of the > beast!" As > > we choose to preserve more information...and in more detail...our > > existing formats become impractical in cubic volume, if > nothing else! > > I can see that capacity needs continue to increase > exponentially, but it seems to me that our storage modalities > are fundamentally flawed if one considers longevity a goal. > > There would seem to be little incentive to make anything that > would last forever. > > Karl > >