Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 2006 11:58:38 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Baking books?

Tom Fine wrote: > This is a little OT, but I figure with a list of preservation experts, someone might know the > answer. Is it OK to bake a damp/musty-smelling hardcover book to dry it out? If so, is the "warm" > (about 130-150 degrees) setting in a conventional oven OK? If not, what's the recommended what to > dry it out. I bought some used books that had obviously been in the kind of basement that invites > sticky-shed with tapes. I can read 'em as is, but I'd sure like to be rid of that musty smell and > damp feeling to the pages. These books are non-valuable ($1 each), so I don't care if they get a > little warped, just want them intact to read (ie don't want to ruin the binding). > > -- Tom Fine Thought this was going to be a similar situation to the episode of "Cheers" where Sam dropped Diane's rare book in the bathtub and when dried, it looked like a chia pet. Actually if anyone has an answer to this or to the related problem of musty record jackets and labels (a problem I'm facing with records I've been buying from an estate, where there was a flooded basement), let us know. dl