Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 2006 18:35:05 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: eBay Listing : Rauland 1960 Tube Power Amp/PA Vintage 1950's

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <[log in to unmask]> > The amp can be found here.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&item=200003130866& rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 Is anybody here familiar with this thing ? > I have one,that needs some minor work,and I was wondering if it had any merit for serious listening.I have had it sitting in a closet for years,(Ever since I stole it from an abandoned roller rink,some homeless guys broke into.)and have not found anyone willing to work on it,as everbody says they have never heard (of) it,so therefore it must be junk.Emails to vintage audio sites,have illicited similar responses.It appears to be an amp,and preamp,in one,what they call an intergrated amp,nowadays,I guess.While I'm at it,I have one of those Hewlett-Packard oscillators,of WWII vintage,identical to those used on "Fantasia".(Twenty bucks at the flea market,in 2002.)This has Western Electric amp inside,as well as functioning WE tubes.Is there a WE model amp, comparable to this unit,and what would it be ? Roger Kulp > Make/model number of your "mystery amp?" Note that these old "Public Address Systems" included by definition both "pre-amp" and "power amp" stages in the same chassis...so you could plug a mike, record player or radio into the proper input jack and have that heard all over the auditorium/skating rink/wotever. BTW...what is the tube line-up? Most of these amps weren't built for "high fidelity"...they were simply built to provide power enough to feed an array of speakers. As their "public address" name implies, their bandwidth was aimed mostly at reproducing the human voice as well as to reproduce records (volume was more important than fidelity). Repairing them is only a complicated task if/when replacement parts are needed (including tubes!). Tube circuitry often used components rated at 400 or 600 volts...and modern soild-state circuitry doesn't use such components! ...stevenc http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/