Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:18:09 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: DVD audio level

I hardly ever watch TV for the past 20 years or so, except a few oddities like Twin Peaks, Xena, Ally McBeal, and Medium... so you can see I am not mainstream in the least. If not for Netflix and DVDs I wouldn't have a TV any more... I'm wondering - exactly when will analog TV and cable go away, and how many NTSC televisions will end up in landfill? This may have nothing to do with archiving analog audio, but it is a fascinating thread... <L> Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio 415-883-2689 On Jul 6, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Tom Fine wrote: > well, they'll take NTSC out of my cold dead hands, so I'll be > adjusting the volume for the foreseeable. Digital cable is the biggest > ripoff going. Who wants 10 channels of each already thinly-programmed > cable "network"? Also, every system around here (our own Suscom -- > Suxcom -- and Cablevision in Westchester and Time Warner in Manhattan) > have awful looking pictures coming out of those digi-boxes. > Pixellation, off-color, digital dropouts, etc. No thanks! > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" > <[log in to unmask]> > To: <[log in to unmask]> > Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 7:59 AM > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] DVD audio level > > >> At 07:26 AM 7/6/2006, you wrote: >>> Well, my analog cable is certainly not aligned then. DVD's are much >>> softer than over-air or VHS tapes. >> >> By definition, analog cable is old school and not aligned. The >> alignment only starts when the transition to digital cable is made.