Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 5 Jul 2008 10:28:07 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: classical music overview/history

Tom - For many years, the standard college survey of classical music history has been Donald J. Grout's "A History of Western Music. Grout himself is no longer with us, but later editions have been updated by his former students. It's published by W.W. Norton: http://www.wwnorton.com/college/titles/music/grout7/ Hope this is helpful! David Hamilton -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2008 9:06 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [ARSCLIST] classical music overview/history I figure this is as good as any group to ask ... I'm looking for a concise but complete book that details the history of classical music. I'm not really interested in a guide to recordings or one man's opinions of various works, but rather a chronological history of the development of the music, from the "early music" up well into the 20th century. Again, I'm not interested in a critique or an agenda, but a history and chronology. Thanks in advance for any recommendations. -- Tom Fine