Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:28:03 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         RA Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Chaim Tauber   was Glue on lacquer

The Stinsons of Tauber are not hugely rare. They are, I believe, from the 40's, probably late. I've seen them around and I own a copy. Not bad stuff if you're into Yiddish theatre music. If you Google "SCETI Freedman" there is a database online that lists, while not every Yiddish recording ever made, certainly more than anywhere else. RA Friedman Archivist Freedman Jewish Music Archive University of Pennsylvania ________________________________ From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List on behalf of David Lennick Sent: Wed 7/23/2008 10:07 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Chaim Tauber was Glue on lacquer Since these are dubs, and apparently put out by Tauber himself (they have printed labels with the titles hand-written), I assume they aren't unique, only scarce. 33RPM surface noise is audible in one of them (the discs themselves are 78s). dl Thomas Stern wrote: > If your friend is willing to share, I'd would like to hear them. > Best wishes, Thomas. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List > [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of David Lennick > Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:58 PM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Chaim Tauber was Glue on lacquer > > > These are for a friend in Toronto who had the discs sent to him..no idea if > anyone has a commercial release in mind but they're wonderful, especially an > item called "Negro Boy" which is an amalgam of St. Louis Blues and Cryin' > For > The Carolines (!). 4 discs here..I don't know if there are any more. > > dl > > Thomas Stern wrote: >> Stinson H-6018 >> CHAIM TAUBER with Harry Lubin, piano acc. >> A Motl the Operator (219) >> B Mein Shtetele Moliff (Tauber-Fleishman)(218) >> >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List >> [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Steven Smolian >> Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:18 PM >> To: [log in to unmask] >> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Glue on lacquer >> >> >> David, >> >> Have you any data- matrix numbers, recording dates, on his Asch records? >> >> Steve Smolian >> >> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: "David Lennick" <[log in to unmask]> >> To: <[log in to unmask]> >> Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:34 PM >> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Glue on lacquer >> >> >>> [log in to unmask] wrote: >>>> If it is organic in nature, like corn syrup, I would think it would >>>> dissolve when treated with googone, lighter fluid, or maybe even soaking >>>> it in water, if that wouldn't damage the laminate. >>> Most likely it's not anything organic since I'd already cleaned them to >>> remove the palmitic acid before I could even see the other gunk (that's >>> how white the disc was). >>>> If it is glue, I don't know what will remove glue, and certainly without >>>> damaging the laminate. Nail polish remover? Acetone? Energine? Paint >>>> thinner? >>>> >>>> So what's on the things, anyway? >>> Some private recordings by Chaim Tauber. >>> >>> dl >>> >> > >