Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:43:22 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Changes to EU music licensing regulations

Pardon me while I stop choking over this hilarious bit of BS: "If the present term of 50 years is kept, some 7.000 performers, in the UK alone, will lose all of their airplay royalties over the next ten years. We are not talking about featured artists like Sir Cliff Richard or the Beatles here. This is about the thousands of anonymous session musicians[1], who contributed to sound recordings in the late fifties and sixties. They will no longer get airplay royalties from their recordings, even though these royalties often contribute to their pension. They will lose protection just when online retailing promises a new source of revenue." SESSION MUSICIANS HAVE BEEN COLLECTING ROYALTIES?! dl