Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:45:14 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Jeff Willens <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: 175 problems

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't those BASF cassettes have those plastic arms inside the shell that fed the tape away from the reels? I seem to recall many years ago that when those tapes of mine were squealing, I removed the arms, and the problem largely went away. As for 175 tape, I've yet to come across that problem. Is it possible that it only applied to a certain time period within its production life? Jeff Willens Audio Restoration Engineer VidiPax 30-00 47th Ave. 6th fl. LIC, NY 11101 -----Original Message----- From: Mike Hirst [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:39 PM Subject: Re: 175 problems No, but I recently digitized a batch of BASF LHsuper SM cassettes all of which suffered from mechanical squeal. I lifted the tape out to another shell and all four of the offending tapes played without problem. These tapes were amongst a collocation of just over 100 tapes all of different brands, all from roughly the same era, all of which played without problems. David Lennick wrote: > Okay..I've just had a reel of 3M 175 turn up with major sticky problems. > No splices, tight pack but not unusually so, normal storage conditions. > Anyone else running into problems with this tape? > > dl > > -- Mike Hirst Managing Director DAS-360° 16 Ocean View Whitley Bay Tyne & Wear NE26 1AL tel: 0191 289 3186 email: [log in to unmask] web: http://www.das360.net