Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:22:34 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         James Lindner <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Info on Zonal tape required
Comments: To: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
          <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

No - I am not stating that - the patent states that. I am circumspect on that one. I have seen a few occasions where it has happened but it is far from typical. It is the patent that makes that claim - not me. jim * Jim Lindner * Media Matters, LLC * Email: [log in to unmask] * Address: 500 West 37th Street, 1st FL New York, N.Y. 10018 * eFax (646) 349-4475 * Mobile: (917) 945-2662 * www.media-matters.net -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 3:00 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Info on Zonal tape required Jim, I've seen oxide coating attach itself to the back of non-back coated tapes. It's rare, but I've seen it. The manufacturers have claimed that backcoating is not the bad actor as you state. At 02:47 PM 3/3/2005, James Lindner wrote: >Well I read the patent, if it is the same presentation. It is my opinion >that in some cases the backcoating is the bad actor or certainly contributes >to sticky shed problems. In particular the most severe cases where the paint >literally comes of the base - seems to sometimes be because the adhesion >between the backcoat and the binder is stronger then the binder and the >base. I have no research to support this - just based on some experience. I >am not convinced, however, that backcoating is the bad actor in most cases >as the patent claims. >jim > Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/ Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX