Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:15:29 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Info on Zonal tape required

At 10:26 PM 3/2/2005, Scott Smith wrote: >Also, to the best of my knowledge, there aren't any cases of binder >hydrolysis related to acetate base material. (Richard Hess or Jim Wheeler >may have some other commentary on this). I agree with that assessment. But we should be clear that binder hydrolysis is related to the chemistry of the binder and has (to the best of my knowledge) nothing to do with the backing, other than certain backings were used during times when binders were not prone to binder hydrolysis. Another interesting note: acetate tape is theoretically subject to vinegar syndrome which is an autocatalytic process. The last time Jim Wheeler and I had talked about it, we hadn't seen any significant quantities of VS in tape, while it is prevalent in film and devastating in mag film (the iron is a catalyst). One theory that I have (which has yet to be confirmed) is that the typical cardboard box we store tape in potentially acts as an absorber of the excess acetic acid. We all know that old tapes seem to be stored in high-acid-content boxes. My question is were they made that way, or did they absorb acid from the tape? Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/ Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX