Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:29:51 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Tel-Mar or Ter-Mar? (Was: Malcolm Chisolm )

OK, this totally explains it. I didn't realize they were essentially both Chess studios. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Sohn" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:14 PM Subject: [ARSCLIST] Tel-Mar or Ter-Mar? (Was: Malcolm Chisolm ) >> Chisolm's resume is interesting too, at least to me. I always thought he >> worked at Tel-Mar. It must be that when Chess did sessions there, he >> engineered, but why was Chess doing sessions at Tel-Mar??? There are >> definitely some Chess records with studio credited as Tel-Mar. > > Are you sure you don't mean Ter-Mar? > This found in a google search for Ter-Mar: > "Chess Records used Universal exclusively until they built their own > facilities at 2120 S. Michigan Ave. in 1957. There were two studios in the > Chess building, the other being Sheldon Recording, and when Sheldon went out > of business, another studio, Ter-Mar moved in. Ter-Mar was originally a few > blocks away. The chief engineers at Chess and Ter-Mar were Ron Malo and > Malcolm Chisholm." > > and: > > "Leonard Chess got the name Ter-Mar from his two sons, Terry and Marshall. > Ter-Mar was where a lot of '60s soul hits were recorded. "Rescue Me" by > Fontella Bass, "Selfish One" by Jackie Ross, "Workin' On A Groovy Thing" by > Patti Drew, "Hello Stranger" by Barbara Lewis and most of The Dells' hits > such as "Stay In My Corner" and "There Is." The Radiants, Ramsey Lewis, > Sugar Pie DeSanto and a host of jazz artists recorded at that studio. Etta > James recorded her hits "At Last", "Something's Got A Hold On Me" and "All I > Could Do Was Cry" there. " Ter-Mar also played host to a number of '60s rock > acts, such as The Buckinghams who recorded "Kind Of A Drag" there. The > American Breed recorded "Bend Me, Shape Me" at Ter-Mar and The New Colony > Six made Ter-Mar their home. The studio closed sometime in the late '70s and > is now a museum ala Motown." > > -Matt S