Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:12:30 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Not using headphones

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Cox" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> > The basic aim of the current style is intimacy. > Microphones have made this possible. Before mics, a singer had to be > audible at the back of the theatre. > > > > There was one young band that played what they called "old-timey" > > music and tried the "old-timey" approach of having just one microphone > > on a [small] stage, which I was looking forward to. It was a disaster: > > their singing could not be heard above their instruments, and they > > said they could not hear themselves. Microphone or not, their balance > > was *acoustically* way off. > > Maybe some singing lessons would help. > Of course, TWO things have changed! Pre-electronica, a vocalist had to be able to project his/her/its voice to every seat in the arena... but those arenas also had (in spite of a lack of "experts") VERY good acoustics! I recall hearing Vladimir Horowitz playing a piano concert in Massey Hall (Toronto)...even though I was nowhere close to the stage, I heard every note he played...clearly! "Experts" are still trying to create the same acoustics in the modern home of the Toronto Symphony...and, as I understand it, failing... at least so far! Steven C. Barr