Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:41:10 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Not using headphones

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> > The reason I thought it might be that is that two guys at a time would be in close, on opposite > sides of the mic, like radio duos used to do with an RCA ribbon mic in figure-8 pattern. It might > have been omni and they were taking advantage of the two middle points, with the softer sounds > spaced in the circle. Anyway, these guys were great at it. > > Another bunch that could work a mic (note: A mic, as in single mic) were the Jordanaires. > > Bob, how did the Motown groups record the group harmonies -- one mic or several? I'm guessing one > mic and no headphones in the early days. And, was the lead singer part of the overall group or did > they have a separate mic? Same room or booth or separate? I've always loved the way the vocals cut > through everything on those records, especially Diana Ross and Martha and the Vandellas. > My "lifelong ambition" is to record a blues album/CD the way (I assume) the classic blues recordings of the forties/fifties were done...using a single microphone (or possibly two, with one for harmonica and vocal?). In my opinion, the multi-isolated-mikes approach is totally wrong for blues bands...! Steven C. Barr