Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:05:56 +0000
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Don Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Can 78s sound better than LPs?
Comments: To: Association for Recorded Sound Discussi <[log in to unmask]>

On 27/08/06, Michael Shoshani wrote: > On Saturday 26 August 2006 08.15, Bob Olhsson wrote: > >> Technology interacts with performance and this seems mostly to be in >> a negative fashion! The highlight of our project came when the A&R >> person's girlfriend, an aspiring diva, showed up while we were >> recording a really high profile artist. She was utterly distressed to >> find we were recording without headphones or a click track. "It JUST >> isn't done..." > > You should have told her that Sinatra NEVER used headphones, and in > fact was uncomfortable singing without the entire orchestra with him, > live, even into the 1970s. > > I expect the response would have been "Sinatra WHO?" :-) However, even Sinatra had to be told that he recorded better if he stood back from the microphone. This was after he had been doing a number of club dates, where he had to hold the mic close to his mouth. (See "Sessions with Sinatra"). Regards -- Don Cox [log in to unmask]