Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:16:47 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Scott Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Cables- was Can 78s sound better than LPs?

Well put ! -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Richter Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 10:05 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Cables- was Can 78s sound better than LPs? Steven Smolian wrote: > Seems to me the theory of matched impedence comes into play here > somewhere. What is the size of the wire attached to the connector on > the inside of the box? > > Unknown. Many of us the "it couldn't hurt" theory. So do I. I use > heavy lamp wire for speaker connections. > > I expect cable length has more to do with it than thickness. All > other things being equal, I've found powered speakers sound better- > more open- than the same speakers with external amplification. > > This is heresy. None of the classic speakers were made that way and > we all venerate age- of equipment. > > Steve Smolian I have been using 10 gauge zip cord for decades, since I first heard a shop selling junk speakers by hooking up AR3s with "speaker wire" for comparison. It's easy enough to calculate the impedance of any length of standard-gauge wire. That yields the damping factor for speaker resonances since it is almost always far more than the output impedance of a modern amplifier. Said damping factor then goes into classic expressions for the Q of the tuned circuit which is the electrical aspect of a speaker. In short, run a few feet of high-impedance wire to turn your high-quality speakers into a boom box. Mike -- [log in to unmask] http://www.mrichter.com/