Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:03:06 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Can 78s sound better than LPs?

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Breneman" <[log in to unmask]> > --- Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > > I'd be wary of a claim that a "modern" 78 could best a 45 LP-groove > > record. The reason would be > > mechanical noise and vibrations from the fast motor speed. I think > > you'd need a lot of mechanical > > damping, even on that $10K record player. 45RPM seems like the best > > of all worlds, but I still think > > a properly made CD sends all grooved disks to the dustbin of > > history. > > I would think that the faster a turntable turns. the more > it would behave like a flywheel and therefore reduce speed > irregularities, but this is just intuitive thinking on my > part. Another problem with a "modern" 78 would be that > due to the larger groove, the "pinch effect" sets in > at a larger diameter than with a smaller groove. An ideal > 78 would be a 12" record with only about three minutes > of contents. > I don't recall the technical explanation...but DO recall that it was regularly held by sound fanciers that "the faster the record turned, the better the fidelity was!" Actually, the ideal format (which Edison knew) for sound recordings is the cylinder...which maintains the velocity of the playing stylus (unlike ordinary disc recordings) for the full extent of the recording. And, a "properly made CD" gives perfect reproduction...of an IMperfect (though not audibly so) version of the original recorded sound! Given the improvements in data storage and data handling, we should see LESS imperfect (though not technically perfect!) sound recordings... Steven C. Barr