Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:23:01 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Can 78s sound better than LPs?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <[log in to unmask]> > These were on Victor,if I recall.I have stated,earlier,how great I think the early "scroll" electrical Victors,and Viva-Tonal Columbias sound.I wonder if it could have something to do with the earliest tube gear,these things were recorded on. Anyone,who has had the pleasure,of hearing a good turntable,through a single-ended triode amp,of the period,or a good amp,made for Depression-era movie theatre use,can tell you how good this stuff can sound.No,I don't own any of this gear,but I used to know an equipment dealer,who did,and let me play some of my records using it. > Roger Kulp > I suspect that part of the reason for the quality sound of the initial electric recordings (which I can verify as well)...is because the early engineers tended to record as much bass as possible, since bass was what the earlier acoustic recordings lacked. Playing a "V.E." or "Viva-Tonal" recording of a pipe organ can rattle windows (etc.)! As far as tube amplifiers...they seem to sound better, and there is a reason for that. Tubes don't cut off sharply (creating pseudo-square waves) when they hit saturation or cut-off...they simply become gradually less efficient, so the resultant signal distortion produces "warped" rather than "flat-topped" waveforms. As a result, a tube amplifier, when overdriven, sounds much more pleasant than its solid-state "cousin!" In fact, as a harmonica player (or h.p.-wannabe) I seek the overdriven, distorted sound that was characteristic of many forties/fifties harmonica recordings...when one's gear was whatever had been available at the neighbourhood pawnshop the morning of the recording session! If you overdrive a solid-state amp, you get "square(ish) waves"...which have a "squanky," irritating sound. I have a forty-buck solid state amp I use occasionally as a practice amp...so my comments are based on experience more than theory! As far as re-creating a triode amp, that could be a problem! 12AX7's are still available for initial stages...but most of the "power tubes" currently available are beam-power pentodes of the 6*6 (6V6, 6L6, usw.) sort...or TV-set horizontal-output tubes, also generally pentodes! Dunno where one might find 2A3's... Steven C. Barr