Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:30:20 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Early stereo LPs: subject to mononuclearosis?

Richard, do you monitor loud enough that the center speaker is sympathetically vibrating, thus moving even little air? I've noticed that this can and does happen at loud levels and it absolutely feels like amplified sound is coming out of the center speaker. OTOH, properly placed small monitors in a properly laid out room present a very large and strong center from the proper listening position if they're worth their salt, and I'd say your Mackie's are worth their salt and then some. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 4:55 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo LPs: subject to mononuclearosis? >I find a substantial difference between using the single mono centre speaker vs. the stereo image >from my left and right speakers. While some of the difference is attributable to room geometry and >layout, I think at least some of it is attributable to head geometry. > > I have noticed this before in several different "lashups" and, most interestingly, I find my Ampex > 2012 speaker amps to sound different in this way in a variety of configurations. > > So, I monitor mono in mono and stereo in stereo. > > When I do stereo monitoring and things are going well, I sometimes have to check to see that's > what I'm doing as I can sense sound coming out of the centre speaker, even though its bar-graph is > showing no signal going to it. So, I think the room is pretty good. > > Cheers, > > Richard > http://www.richardhess.com/tape/facility.htm > > At 04:44 PM 8/27/2006, Phillip Holmes wrote: >>If you have two speakers with nearly identical response curves (ditto everything else), you don't >>need one speaker. Also, you need proper relationship between the two speakers and the listener >>(not too close). >>I get a very realistic mono center image. It's harder to do good mono on a stereo than good >>stereo, in my opinion. >>Phillip >> >> >>Tom Fine wrote: >> >>-- Tom Fine >> >>PS -- regarding the point of mono out of 1 speaker or two. This is an interesting question today >>and I'd be very interested what others think. >> > > Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] > Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX > Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm > Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.