Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:27:39 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      DAT tapes

Further to my question the other week about digital glitches in name brand tapes, mostly Sony, here's something very ironic. There was a cheapo brand in the early 90s called DIC that wasn't around for long and which we were all warned not to use. I'm transferring one now and it doesn't have a single defect. I was sent several dozen DATs to transfer to CD and zowie, is this fun..most of them were recorded with no A-times, and some begin the recording right at the very first inch of tape instead of leaving 30 seconds or so blank (as we all learned the hard way, to minimize dropouts and glitches). As a result, the first track on each of these tapes has no start cue. Ever tried to add start cues where there's no room to do it? Grrrrr..... dl