Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:22:33 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Glitchy dats

Karl Miller wrote: > On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, David Lennick wrote: > > > I've been sent a load of DATs to transfer to CD for auditioning, and I find > > that a number of them dating from 1996 have glitches. I don't know if there's > > one brand more prone than others since I'm not monitoring consistently, but > > they do seem to turn up on Sony PDP-124s. Anyone have similar experiences? Any > > thoughts on whether this was a bad brand (I had problems with it myself) or if > > it was a matter of us not thoroughly erasing the tapes before using them or not > > fast forwarding or rewinding them before using them? > > I have had trouble with most DATs including the Sony 124s. I have found > that adjusting the guides/alignment on the tape machine has made them > playable. > > Karl For what it's worth, the glitches were known to the sender..a couple were marked "bad tape at beginning" so I doubt that it's a fault in my playback, although I'm going to check the next one that turns up on a few different machines (these dubs are for reference only, the programs aren't going to be re-syndicated). Too bad my Panasonic 3700 died (it was the only machine on which I could read error rates). dl