Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:23:30 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Scott Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Can 78s sound better than LPs?

I agree completely. Just because you have a tool, it doesn't mean it is needed, or even non-destructive. I've just finished looking at a few popular recordings from the last few years in Sound Forge. The display indicates huge amounts of clipping... Not of the CD format, but in the mastering process at the very least. I can only assume that every possible digital tool was used to produce the loudest, most distorted sound possible. Horrible sounding stuff. -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 1:33 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs? There's a lot of truth to this. Many engineers, when given a knob to turn, will turn it. Back in the day, the signal path was simpler and cleaner. There were many fewer options and hence fewer ways to go badly wrong. As long as a guy knew not to overload a mic or mic preamp, he'd be pretty good to go (although MANY engineers back in the day couldn't even grasp that simple concept). I'm thinking of even the most complex art-rock album and I can't see why one needs all the options afforded by modern virtual "consoles" with a heap of plug-ins. Add into the mix that the digital signal processing is pretty piss-poor in a lot of cases and then add the cult of ye olde analog gear, often in disrepair, added hodge-podge to the modern control room, and the total lack of basic electronics know-how in said control room, and the recipe for bad sound is printed on the wall. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Olhsson" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 11:13 AM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs? > Tom Fine wrote: >>... Alas, the >>skill set has slipped so badly that many modern recordings are horrible > > I'm not sure it's exactly a higher skill set. Today we're drowning in excessive signal processing > both in recordings and live music venues. The folks who sell music gear are killing the goose that > laid their golden egg. > > -- > Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN > Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control > Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined! > 615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com