Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:56:21 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Can 78s sound better than LPs?

Hi Lou: Of course, the first order of business -- especially in a case where no real harm is being done to the sound or your reputation -- is to smile and tell the client he's absolutely right! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lou Judson" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 3:39 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs? Yes, Tom, but just imagine using the original deck AND the special cables! The client is ecstatic. I get credit too. Just by doing what he wants, which is the simplest thing. Now if he made me buy the cables to use with his material that would be a different kettle of fish... By the way, while we have some animated discussion as we do the work, I never dispute that he can hear the differences. I may say, I have not heard the difference, to which he responds, but have you compared them? I say a simple no, without mentioning that I do not have a refined listening room nor the gear to do a true A-B-X comparison. A fellow engineer I once worked with who was an audiophile on his own time, told me that the reason I couldn't hear the differences was because I didn't have $40,000 speakers... Well, the proof of my audio pudding is what the client and their customers hear in the product - an audio CD. Never get complaints on the results! <L> Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio 415-883-2689 On Aug 25, 2006, at 11:49 AM, Tom Fine wrote: > Oy, the silver wires crowd. We flayed and paddled that whole universe of hokum on the Ampex List a > while back. An aptly named character, Ms. Crock, put up a sorry fight for her "deep frozen" > cables. The slitheriest of snakes sell this audio-junk. On par with the $50 wooden "audio damping" > knob. > > Using the original tape machine, especially with cassettes, and a direct signal path will beat any > claims on any cable any day. > > -- Tom Fine=