Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:09:47 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Susan Stinson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Strage blue amberol
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Interesting - and no idea why your copy is shorter than the standard. We have two different copies of this number in the standard length; I noted that the groove spiral is only 2 3/4 inches long - a short recording. Perhaps they had a nearly-long-enough blank and used it for this number because it fit easily. Sue Susan T Stinson, Curator Belfer Audio Laboratory and Archive Syracuse University Library 222 Waverly Avenue Syracuse, NY 13244-2010 315-443-3477 / fax 443-4866 >>> [log in to unmask] 8/24/2006 6:21 PM >>> The standard length of a blue Amberol is about 4-1/4" I have one that is 3-5/8" long and appears otherwise to be identical to the larger one. The top and botom have blank bands before and after the grooves. The top is beveled, as usual, with white type. It is 3365, inappropriately titled, "Long Boy" as performed by S. Porter. It did not come with a box. What do I have here? Steve Smolian Steve Smolian