Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:15:10 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Early stereo LPs: subject to mononuclearosis?

Wing was also a recession-fighter, introduced during the early 60's downturn. The series was discount price and cheaply packaged. Not all Mercury executives thought it was a good idea but the pop guys prevailed and the rack-jobbers loved it because they could stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap. Simulated stereo was just a bad idea on all fronts, but it prevailed up into the 70s. There were some interesting experiments done in a better reprocess method, both at Columbia Studios and at Fine Recording. But it was costly -- book expensive studio time, set up an excellent full-range speaker in a nice live room like the 30th St. studio of the Ballroom and then play the mono material thru the speaker and record a stereo pickup to a new master. It actually works very well, especially with recordings originally made close-mic'd or in a dead room. But it begs the question, why bother. Just enjoy a well-mixed mono presentation. Electronic reprocess of mono into psuedo-stereo is a degradation 99+% of the time. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:53 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo LPs: subject to mononuclearosis? > Mike Richter wrote: > >> Rob Bamberger wrote: >> > I seem to recall hearing in the early 1960s (when I was a mere youth >> > developing an instinct that would, in due course, mistrust a >> > civilization that could come up with reprocessed stereo) that playing >> > stereo pressings on a monophonic record player would harm the stereo LP. >> > Was this a myth? At some point, stereo LP covers indicated that they >> > were mono-compatible. Was the prior warning meant to discourage people >> > from playing stereo records with their older, heavily weighted tonearms >> > and mono cartridges that would chew up the stereo groove? >> >> It was not a myth. Some monaural cartridges had so little vertical >> compliance that they would mash the difference signal out of existence >> in a few playings. AFAIK, "mono compatible" meant that after you did >> eliminate the vertical component, the horizontal (lateral) would still >> play adequately with the incompliant cartridge. >> >> Note that the issue was not so much tracking force per se but >> compliance, displacement of the stylus assembly per unit of force applied. >> >> Mike >> -- >> [log in to unmask] >> http://www.mrichter.com/ > > There were a few types of LP labelled "mono compatible". In the mid 60s (or > earlier?), Mercury introduced the Wing label, reissuing a lot of mono pop and > classical material in simulated stereo..the sound was ghastly in mono and > stereo. I know there were a couple of other such labels, aside from Everest and > Stereo Fidelity producing mono LPs which were actually pressed from the stereo > stampers. In 1968 we began to see "playable on mono equipment" on virtually all > stereo LP jackets because the companies finally phased out mono at that time, > and we were told that the tone arms and cartridges were now compliant enough. > > I have one Cook stereo lp (not binaural) that must have been cut with a 1-mil > or 1-5 mil point, "A Double Barrel Blast"..that disc never sounded good on > anything. Also wasn't terribly funny. > > dl