Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:51:04 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Kostelanetz, was [ARSCLIST] Transfer responsibility

It doesn't explain why Kosty's recordings were so awful in the last years of his life. Either he or his producer turned out overmodulated, over-reverbed, over-arranged, souped-up doses of elevator music at ear-splitting volume with no subtlety, no variation and very little musicality. And that goes for his light classical and "Proms" stuff as much as for his pop recordings. He could do interesting stuff in concert..I have him conducting in Toronto in 1942. He plays the Shostakovich "Polka" and actually gets laughs from the audience, although that would have been new music to them at that time. dl Lou Judson wrote: > Ron, this is a gem. May I take the quote below and use it for a > signature line fo rmy emails? It is wonderful! It will set me in good > stead with old timers, and puzzle the youngsters who will wonder what > an "Lp recording" is... > > <L> > > Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio > 415-883-2689 > > On Aug 24, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Ron Fial wrote: > > Andre Kostelanetz said he had a problem listening to LP recordings, > because after the engineers spliced all the takes together, the work > was 'too perfect'. No real orchestra could play that well.