Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:41:40 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Ron Fial <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Transfer responsibility- was Podcasting--explained a bit...

Mike Richter wrote: >I'm sorry, but your standard is set impossibly high. After all, in few commercial recordings is there attention to fidelity of the performance. Engineers routinely correct little errors - like flatting a note - and enhance the sound in other ways to improve on nature or to satisfy the performer's image of himself/herself. My wife and I once got to rehearse and sing in an orchestra/choir performance conducted by Andre Kostelanetz. Our choir director told us that Kostelanetz said he had a problem listening to LP recordings, because after the engineers spliced all the takes together, the work was 'too perfect'. No real orchestra could play that well. Ron Fial