Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:00:55 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Podcasting--explained a bit...

Okeh...first things first... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lou Judson" <[log in to unmask]> > Wow, are you behind the times! ;-) grin - no offense! > > Podcasts are no different from radio programs. It's just the audio > format and the delivery method. > That's what I assumed...so my problem is how to get my 78's, and my voice, into the computer so I can combine it into programs aka podcasts... > Create your audio program with your favorite method, be it cassette or > tape or Wav files, whatever, and then encode it as an MP3 and send it > offf! That is very simplistic but that is all there really is to it. > Some of us have been making programs like that for 30 or 40 years or > more... > It's that second step...encoding all the desired audio as a single .mp3 file...that I'm "not convinced about" (to quote "Jose Jimanez"...)... > > DO NOT make individual MP3s and then combine them somehow, unless you > are using a playlist type of sequencing, in which case they will be > played in their original format as separate songs. > I wasn't sure if I converted them individually into mp3 files, which I then combined...or if creating an mp3 file was like recording a CD-R, meaning it isn't over until you tell the computer it is... > MP#s can be encoded with rate from 8kbps to 320 or so, with > correspondingly better sound, and 8 bit or 16 bit or more. The encoding > rate determines both the sound quality and the file size, and the > bigger the file the better it sounds. > Okeh...that answers my question. Now, what would be the usual compromise between listenable quality and files the size of Ohio? > As aa audio professional, I only use Macs (too lazy to learn the other > kind of computer) so cannot advise what programs to use, but there are > plenty here who can! > Used Wintels are easier to find, and cheaper, than used Macs...so, when you're trying to survive on the pittance you get as a "disabled" person. you make do... > But the basic thing is, a podcast is nothing more or less than a radio > program in digital MP3 form. Well, generally they are far less in the > matter of content, but that is personal taste... mine! > > Hope this helps demystify it a little. > > <L> > > Lou Judson . Intuitive Audio Okeh, now... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> > This is a very hacked up way to do this, but to each his own ... > > The more standard (and easier) way is to record to WAV, edit/sequence to taste and then save the > final podcast file as an MP3. > > I can almost guarantee you that any modern recording/editing software will be more feature-rich, > faster and easier to use than RealAudio. > I also have Audacity. On my budget, I have to use what I have...and what I can get for free... > I'll be the first to say that 78's are of inferior audio quality, especially when played without > proper EQ through a ceramic cartridge, but if you go thru the effort of playing them (and I'm > assuming you clean them first, which is still more effort), it would seem to me you'd want to start > without a hand tied behind your back, which is what essentially is happening with a lossy > compression format like Real, MP3, Apple MP4 or anything else except WAV or Apple Lossless Format. > Thing here is that I want to feature the music on the 78's...which I enjoy and which I know a lot about. This music, of course, was recorded as "non-hi-fi" and can't be improved beyond what it is (unless I could afford to hire new musicians, find the original charts, usw...). Yes, 78's... especially ACOUSTIC 78's...aren't of present-day 5.1, wide bandwidth, professionally mixed and engineered sound quality...but if I want to give my vast (half-vast?) public Billy Murray doing "On the 5:15," I have to settle for c.1914 sound quality! And, yes, giving them a good wash (I can't afford the good Doctor's miracle elixir, so it will be detergent and water) before inflicting them on listeners should be part of the process. I just had no workable idea how one went from "point A" (a stack of records I want to inflict on total strangers, and a decent "radio voice") to "point B" (aka "Click here to listen to Steven C. Barr and his famed shellac archive"...which will also mean being able to afford a real web site!). Now I'm learning... Steven C. Barr