Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:00:13 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Non Tekkie question re: consumer CD recorders

Steve Ramm wrote: > My PC is not in a location where my audio set up is. And I really don't want > to play with PC software for editing etc. > > Is there such a thing as an affordable stand alone CD recorder with which I > could transfer the cassettes (and even Reel-to-reel tapes I have in the same > room) to CD? There are such devices, though unfortunately I know of none with a built-in hard drive. They will even use 'silent' input to create track splits, but those may be unreliable depending on the quality of your source tape as well as its content. I have a Philips of some years back, so I cannot suggest current makes and models. It did its job well for me but has been out on loan for a year or two. Note that the consumer versions require that you use discs marked "DigitalAudio" and usually sold as 'Music Discs'. They carry a premium for royalty payments, but have the advantage of being designed to record at 1x. That's necessary for your application but not common for low-cost computer or 'Data' discs. Mike -- [log in to unmask] http://www.mrichter.com/