Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:45:30 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Brandon Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: File Size Confusion

Friends, Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm looking forward to hearing more regarding converting from RF-64... best, Brandon. At 02:09 PM 8/21/2006, Mike Richter wrote: >Brandon Burke wrote: >>All, >>I was asked to pull a 10 minute section out of a much longer file today, >>but am unable to open it in WaveLab. It is an 8 hour(!) recording from >>one of our collections, committed to digital by the donor a handful of >>years ago, and saved as one continuous MP3. (I know, brilliant...) >>Here's the specs on the file... >>File Format: MP3 >>Properties: Mono / 48.0 kHz / 64 kbps >>Length: 8h34mn222ms >>Size: 235.29 MB >>What's confusing me is this: The file is 235 MB but I cannot open it >>because (about 65% of the way though the decoding process) WaveLab 5 says >>that the file exceeds the 2GB size limit. What gives..? >>I am able to open the file in Windows Media Player, iTunes, and other >>apps without an editing component BUT i obviously need to edit it in >>order to chop out the 10 minute section mentioned above. >>Can anyone suggest a way to open this file in an editing app (preferably >>WaveLab 5)..? >> >>thanks as always...and apologies if this is a dumb question, >>Brandon > >It's all perfectly reasonable. To open the file in an editor, it must be >decompressed and held in a decompressed form. Assuming that "48.0 kHz" is >48.0 ksps, compression to 64 Kbps is very strange indeed - about 12:1. >Thus, the 235 MB file will expand to nearly 3 GB within the editor and >that is clearly too much for the program to deal with. > >There is freeware to edit MP3s in simple ways such as splitting. Since I >do not use it, I cannot offer a recommendation except to explore the WWW, >try some until you find one that does not attempt to do too much and >therefore can/will split the file for you without expanding it. > >Mike >-- >[log in to unmask] >http://www.mrichter.com/ _______________________________________ Brandon Burke Archivist for Audio Collections Hoover Institution Archives Stanford University Stanford, CA 94305-6010 vox: 650.724.9711 fax: 650.725.3445 email: [log in to unmask]