Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:12:11 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Archiving and Reformatting Digital Files

Hello, Kathleen, You raise some interesting questions. In fact, so interesting that I decided to answer them here http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/08/17/dss-and-other-compressed-digital-files-in-an-oral-history-archive/ rather than in the thread. Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes. At 11:07 AM 8/17/2006, McCormick, Kathleen wrote: >I am looking for information resources and suggestions on handling >proprietary and/or compressed digital audio files for preservation. > >As an oral history archive, we are about to receive several collections >from various constituents that will originate in the Windows Media Audio >(WMA) format and potentially in the Digital Speech Standard (DSS) >format, both of which are compressed formats (among other potential >issues). I am trying to find information that relates to the >issues/problems/hopes for handling these files - issues such as should >and to what format should these files be converted to (can you convert a >compressed file to an uncompressed format? [my understanding is no, not >really.] or if you can, is there any benefit to doing that?). > >These are the first files of this type we will have to deal with and I >am dreading their arrival. Any advice would be welcome. > >Despite my strong advice against using consumer grade digital recorders >for collecting oral histories, professors and students are hard pressed >to spend $500+ on professional field recording equipment. Given that >there appears to be no middle ground recording equipment available for >under $300, they are choosing to spend as little as possible to get the >equipment. In which case, we are left to deal with the files in whatever >format they come to us. > > >Thanks! > >Katie McCormick > >Reference Archivist and >Coordinator for the Oral History Program >Special Collections - J. Murrey Atkins Library >UNC Charlotte >9201 University City Blvd >Charlotte, NC 28223-0001 > >[log in to unmask] >704-687-6288 >http://library.uncc.edu/archives > > >"Whatever we do we may fail, but if we do nothing, failure is >guaranteed."