Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:25:47 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Cataloguing again--more OCLC, AACR2 bashing

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Roger and Allison Kulp wrote: > Either that,or alphabetize them according to label,and then list them numerically according to the label's catalogue number. > And there's your system. Some collections do file by manufacturer number, however, as a collection grows, it can require huge shifting projects. Many collections use an accession number for placing items on the shelf. While there are possibly some collections that try to classify recordings (assigning call numbers), I doubt this practice is still considered viable by many collections. The arrangement of recordings on the shelf isn't my major concern (frustration). For me, the problems reside in description and cataloging and the construct used for the preparation of the discographic record. I wonder if Google has any interest in an audio digitization project? Karl