Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:34:34 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: NASA

Yeah, OK, but for now we don't have the money or, I'm afraid, the skill set to pull it off. So I think it's a dumb use of limited resources. ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Breneman" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:07 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] NASA > --- Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > >> Hey, if the president has his way with the national treasure, we >> will be blowing large clumps of >> money in the near future to go back for ... what??? > > Well Tom, there's more to exploring space than taking > information from other places and relaying it back here. > This planet isn't going to last forever. Some time in the > next couple 100,000 years there's going to be another > cataclysmic meteor impact of the type that wiped out the > dinosaurs, and even if we're able to divert that, the Sun is > eventually going to expand and swallow up the Earth. > > So mankind's destiny must be to move out from the Earth, > first to nearby places like the Moon and Mars, and > eventually to other solar systems. It will take > thousands of years. We've wasted 30. Why waste more? > It's going to be a long, slow process, but it needs > to begin eventually, and I'm selfish enough to want > to live to see permanant bases on the Moon, and people > on Mars, so sue me. :-) > > Besides, as archivists, we'll need to have found somewhere > safe to put our stuff before the Sun goes nova. > > > David Breneman [log in to unmask] > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > http://mail.yahoo.com