Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:26:00 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: How many 78's--was: National Recording Preservation Board
              (NRPB) Study

Hi Steven: OK, even though this is an old thread, I gotta ask a followup. Given your statement about your own holdings, the number and "pre-catalog" state -- are you still accumulating? If so, how can you ever figure out what you have given the finite lifespan of a person? Also, on a different topic. You seem very expert on the 78 era. Is it myth or fact that RCA buried a bunch of metal parts and masters when they tore down their Camden NJ plant? And I guess more importantly, did they bury anything important/valuable vs. obscure one-disk wonders? -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "steven c" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:17 AM Subject: [ARSCLIST] How many 78's--was: National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> > To: <[log in to unmask]> > Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 5:00 PM >> I honestly didn't know there were 80,000 unique 78 sides recorded! What is > the material? >> >> Steven, do you think you have more disks than Joe Bussard? Did I > understand you correctly that you >> have 40 THOUSAND unique 78's (ie no repeats)? Or, how much of that is > overlap? >> > My educated guess is that there were probably somewhere between > two and three million different 78rpm discs issued between > Berlier's 1889 efforts and the last music-library 78's (pressed > in the UK but extensively used in North America). > > Victor alone used over 104,000 matrix numbers between 1900 and > 1942 (assume 10% to 20% weren't issued, or the numbers were never > used...that is still 80 to 90 thousand sides!)...Columbia used > about 40,000 before 1934, and the Plaza/ARC/CBS series ran from > 5001 to somewhere in the 60,000's not counting non-NYC matrices. > > As far as my own holdings...I won't know until I finish my "pre- > catalog" project. However, I'd estimate about 2,000 duplicate > phonorecords max, if that...and there will be a number of cases > where I have the same side on more than one disc, usually with > a different pairing. However, I already have almost 20,000 > 78's "pre-catalogued" and as near as I can tell I haven't > been through half of my milk boxes yet...so the question > is whether my number of duplicates will be somewhere close > to my final count's excess over 40,000. > > ...stevenc > http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/