Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:01:24 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: To bake or not to bake?

Thanks. Looking forward to more info, and will try the finger test.... <L> Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio 415-883-2689 On Aug 14, 2006, at 9:47 AM, David Lennick wrote: > Lou Judson wrote: > >> With my small scale tape transfers, when I get radio airchecks (from a >> small nonprofit I used to work for) I always bake them before even >> trying them (just the other day I had one the had unbranded Shamrock >> junk spliced to Scotch 176, so I would have needed to bake half the >> reel), but now I have a few reels and woudl rahter not bake if not >> needed, as they are record label masters. >> >> Ampex 456 from 1988 >> Scotch 206 and 207 from mid 70s >> Scotch 226 mid 80s >> >> What say the experts? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Lou > > 456 from 1988 MAY be in the "good" period..anyone know for sure? I'd > heard that > 1968 to 1982 was the bad time for back-coated Ampex, but now I've had > reels > from the late 80s that feel sticky (my method is to thread a reel > outside the > head assembly, hold up one tension bar and fast forward the tape > between my > fingers..answer provided almost immediately). > > Scotch 226 from any period should probably be baked, and I've never > had a > problem with 206 or 207. > > dl