Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 12 Aug 2006 09:13:57 EDT
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: LP RECORD STORAGE
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 8/11/2006 1:06:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes: It also tends to chip,and break - diagonally ! Roger Robert Hodge <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Don't use particle board for anything that matters. It warps at the drop of a hat, screws break out of it easily, no matter what the lenght or size used, and I have always wondered about outgassing from it. Awfull Stuff ! Stick To Plywood or good solid - you won't regret it ! ************ I've used chip and particle board successfully in my shelving system. Since it is either in compression or forced to bend in a complex shape, it seems quite stable. Few fasteners are used and the dado cut prevents the separator boards from splitting. However the thickness should be about 50% more than that of plywood for the same stability and that removes any cost advantage. And it is very heavy. Conventional shelving made with particle board in the museum library is a disaster. It had to be propped up in several ways. It also is sensitive to moisture and humidity changes causing real problems if the bookcase design requires tight dimensions. I don't know if the formaldehyde outgassing problems have been solved, though there is some of that with plywood too. Mike Csontos