Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:06:29 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Ives' Universe Symphony

That's easy - http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=43:128916 This is the Johnny Reinhard edition, which makes the most sense and is the most "ivesian." This is also one of the greatest sound recordings ever made in my opinion - even if you hate Ives there's no denying how three-dimensional and lifelike this is. I guarantee this will NOT turn up at your local Best Buy. But it's easy to order from here http://www.stereosociety.com/index.html And I should say that it wasn't "aborted" - a lot of Ives' verbal descriptions of it are quite precise, and that, taken with his extant sketches and the difficult to read verbal comments on those, are enough to raise the whole. He just didn't have the stamina to pull together a full score by himself. David N. Lewis Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide 1168 Oak Valley Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48108 734 887 8145 "Music expresses what one cannot say, but about which one cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brandon Burke Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 1:54 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [ARSCLIST] Ives' Universe Symphony Personal question here.. Been reading about Ives' aborted Universe Symphony lately (again) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a definitive version that I might track down to hear. The word "definitive" is obviously relative in this case -- I know, I know.. -- since any version out there is nothing more than interpretation of how the thing *might* have sounded were it completed. Shades of 'Eyes Wide Shut', you might say. (Only...y'know...less Ligeti and more Ives.) Anyway, this may be a wild goose chase. I don't know. Perhaps the only recordings out there are boots. That's why I'm asking.. facing the full force of a dissonance like a man, Brandon _______________________________________ Brandon Burke Archivist for Audio Collections Hoover Institution Archives Stanford University Stanford, CA 94305-6010 vox: 650.724.9711 fax: 650.725.3445 email: [log in to unmask]