Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 9 Aug 2006 01:39:47 EDT
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Cary Ginell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: LP RECORD STORAGE
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 8/8/2006 9:54:21 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes: Yes, I certainly would not recommend the shelves that I bought at the Home Despot a few years back for use in a storage locker. The vertical posts are probably rigid and strong enough, but the shelf was cheap chipboard which has started to cave in under the weight of some boxes of old Gramophone and Fanfare mags. About 25 years ago I bought a huge 7' x 4' x 12" particle board bookshelf unit from Home Depot, or whatever passed for Home Depot back then. There was no way a four foot shelf was going to hold LPs, so I bought some extra boards and cut them into dividers, spacing them one foot apart. I nailed them in place, staggering them to distribute the weight and to make it easier to nail from above and below the dividers. So now I have a five shelf unit stocked with LPs and it's been fine ever since. I didn't paint it and it's ugly as chipboard can get, but who notices once it's loaded with records? It's up against a wall in my garage, bolted to the studs. Cary Ginell Origin Jazz Library www.originjazz.com