Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:43:27 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: LP RECORD STORAGE

There's also my method, which is to keep an ear open for any collectors who depart this planet..send sympathies, then ask where the shelves are going. I just filled up a van this weekend. Sick but true. That aside, I've also inherited several fabulous sets of shelves by being in the right place at the right time..some huge industrial metal units came from an accounting firm that no longer needed them (and one of the accountants was a record collector), other custom-built wooden units came from a production company once it had gotten rid of all its LPs. Yet another batch of shelving was on its way into a dumpster in my storage complex when I noticed them and offered the guys a few bucks to bring them to my lockup. dl "Andes, Donald" wrote: > I completely understand space issues, as I easily have over half a > million assets (including more than 70,000 LP's, 78's and 16" > transcription discs) across all of the vaults that I'm responsible for, > but shelving on that scale requires not only the correct room layout and > shelving strategy, but also an architect and structural drawings. > > From the original posters question of "Does anyone have advice on > obtaining record storage for LPs?" I assumed we were talking rather > "personal" 5000 or less collections of LP's. > > Anyone with 25,000+ items should have figured out shelving long ago, > along with a disaster plan, and an insurance waiver. > > I'm also in Los Angeles, like the poster, and put more faith in the unit > I recommended over many other, cheap alternatives (including other Ikea > models) in the event of tremor/earthquake scenarios. > > Don Andes