Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 1 Aug 2006 22:15:22 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         steven c <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Scotch 200 box photograph -Del's Response

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lou Judson" <[log in to unmask]> > I'm sure I have a copy of one of those boxes deep in my archive, but > would love to see it online. I did some googling and found a > fascinating history of 3M, including a pdf of in-depth highlights of > their history. Quite interesting for a few minutes exploration: > Well, the "Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company" arose in the Duluth area after folks began to wonder if "all them red rocks" were in any way valuable (being high-grade iron ore, they were!"). The firm. which evolved (logically enough) into "3M," began fooling around with tape...including an early attempt at masking tape with no "stickem" in the centre...which prompted a response of "What are your Scotch bosses up to with this stuff?!" which gave the infant firm a brand name! Later, they figured out how to combine iron oxide (which was all over the dommed place) with plastic "stickem-less" tape... usw. Steven C. Barr