Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:38:18 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Scott D. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Scotch 200 box photograph -Del's Response

I asked Del about whether they actually recorded anything. No response yet. They apparantely were a legit group of musicians, though, so my guess is that somewhere in the long lost archives of 3M something probably existed. Yeah, the packaing design was much more interesting back then.... --Scott Marcos Sueiro Bal wrote: >This list really is amazing. Thanks Scott and Del for the answer, >Richard and Angie for beating me to posting the scans, and everyone >else for the interesting tidbits. > >I wonder if the Scotchmen ever did any recordings? It sure looks >like they did: The photo seems to capture the vibe of a session >perfectly. > >I must say, my personal preference is the 200's blue background. >They sure had a good package designer over there in Minneapolis. > >marcos > >Quoting "Scott D. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>: > > > >>Here is the reply from Del Eilers at 3M: >>[Scott D. Smith] >> >>Believe it or not, it's a little before my time, before I started >>at >>3M. It's my understanding that it was a group of 3Mer's who had >>a band >>called the Scotchmen. I believe it was a studio in Minneapolis. >>The >>date would be late 50's, and early 60's that it was used. I >>joined 3M >>in 1963. >> >>Del >> >> >> >> >>Marcos Sueiro Bal wrote: >> >> >> >>>Greetings, >>> >>>Just curious: >>> >>>I wonder if anyone on the list knows where the photograph on the >>> >>> >>box >> >> >>>of Scotch 200 of the orchestra musicians comes from. It is a >>> >>> >>lovely >> >> >>>photograph, and one of my favourite product packages. >>> >>>Marcos >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> > > >Marcos Sueiro Bal >Audio/Moving Image Project Archivist/Surveyor >Preservation Division, Butler Library >Columbia University, 535 W 114th St >New York, NY 10027 > > > > >