Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:52:42 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Eric Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Beginner's question RE: digital recordings

Lisa, I would add Wavelab to the list of audio software that you are considering. It has an excellent BWF editor for your metadata, and has well integrated track marking and disc burning tools to support a simple end-to-end audio process. Eric Jacobs The Audio Archive tel: 408.221.2128 fax: 408.549.9867 -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Lisa NnNnNn Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 7:18 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [ARSCLIST] Beginner's question RE: digital recordings Dear list, I have been reading your emails silently for a while, and finally have a couple questions of my own. I am quite the beginner in the world of audio preservation, and signed up to see if I could learn more from those who are more knowledgeable in the area of sound recording preservation. I am currently an intern at The Field Museum in Chicago, and have just had a grant approved to complete an ongoing project to preserve a collection of recorded interviews on sonoband format. Half of these bands have already been converted to digital format, and the other half is now slated to have the same done. I have already designed proper storage containers for the bands and players when they are returned, but now I need to know a bit more about working with the digital media (mainly re-mastering them a little bit). These recordings were made in the mid-1960s, so their quality has deteriorated some, due to a combination of recording at too high a level initially, slight decay in the bands over time, and improper storage causing warping. The quality of sound ranges from very good to inaudible in sections, and varies from band to band, and throughout each recording. I recognize that some problems may not be resolvable, but I know there are ways to clean up static bursts and ambient noise. At times there are also issues with the recordings playing either too fast or too slowly, which I think could be corrected somehow if there were software with a pitch adjuster (apologies of that is the wrong term, I’m thinking of a turntable pitch adjuster). I also need to be able to break long recordings into tracks in order to make them more easy to use for researchers. Basically, I guess I am just looking for suggestions about good programs to utilize for this project, and any other tips and advice you all might think would be relevant. Thank you so much for your time! Regards, Lisa