Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:28:06 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Archiving CLV versus CAV transfer
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

At 04:20 PM 4/11/2005 -0700, Eric Jacobs wrote: >If cost and disk space were not an issue, one could store both the raw CAV >transfer, as well as the CAV-to-CLV converted transfer. But if cost and >space are an issue, which transfer would you preserve? Please excuse my ignorance here - I've worked with similar situations but not in an archival context. The cost would appear to be essentially the same regardless of whether both are stored since the only additional operation required is to preserve the intermediate step. Space would be a problem if you intended to preserve the raw CAV in audio form, which as you indicate is essentially without value. Thus, the choice is whether to preserve a set of data - the radii and other characteristics as determined for processing and the raw WAV (or equivalent) file in some condensed form. Thus, my suggestion would be to preserve a text file on the parameters and a reasonable version of the raw CLV capture. That would be in addition to the CAV resulting from the processing, which would logically be in a form such as CD-DA or high-rate, two-channel WAV (or equivalent). If only one copy can be retained, clearly it would have to be the CAV. The CLV without supporting information would not even allow review for relevance; with the supporting data, it would still require costly processing. Mike -- [log in to unmask] http://www.mrichter.com/