Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:09:10 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Robert Hodge <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Questions regarding audio collection of a university-based
              black radio series
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Hello, We have a collection of programs entitled " News And Views - Black Perspective " that were produced and aired by WSYR - Syracuse N.Y. - These were recorded and broadcast in the mid to late 1970's- perhaps later, perhaps earlier - if memory serves. If I remember correctly, Dennis Dowdel was the host for the majority, if not for of them. They aired once a week-also if memory serves. Sorry I can't remember more. They are all on .75 inch full track format tape recorded at 7.5 IPS. All are originals as these were the broadcast masters. I haven't had time to examine or audition them - there are many. Bob Hodge Belfer Audio Archive Syracuse University Library >>> [log in to unmask] 4/5/2005 6:20:32 PM >>> Hello, I am accessing an audio collection of 266 1/4" reel-to-reel audiotapes of a weekly radio series entitled "Soul of Reason," which aired on WNBC- AM in New York from 1971-1986. The series was co-produced by WNBC Radio's Community Affairs Division and the Institute of Afro-American Affairs at New York University. The program's host was Dr. Roscoe C. Brown, Jr. The series was created to address the issues of African- American and Latino communities, and was an outgrowth of the ethnic/cultural studies programs that emerged at American universities during and after the civil rights era. I'm trying to determine the uniqueness of this particular series. I was wondering if anyone on the list knows of other university-based radio series that developed out of black studies departments/programs like "Soul of Reason." Additionally, I am looking for archives that may have audio collections of comparable radio series. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. You can reply to me off list. Tanisha Jones Moving Image Archiving and Preservation (MIAP) program Tisch School of the Arts, New York University [log in to unmask]