Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:32:12 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: [MLA-L] Requesting feedback on laser turntables
Comments: To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

At 02:06 AM 4/27/2005, Eric Jacobs wrote an absolutely amazing review of the ELP LT: >Like many, we found it challenging to get concrete information on the >Laser Turntable - whether it be third-party reviews or first-hand >knowledge. > >So, we spent the past 6 months analyzing the Laser Turntable - everything >from subjective listening tests to objective measurements, while throwing >a wide range of LP and pre-LP material at the Laser Turntable (we will >call it the "LT" for short). > Eric, Thank you for the amazing review. One thing that wasn't discussed was how the output of the LT integrates with automatic post processing. While one wouldn't want to post-process the master archive copy, I would suspect that at least from the transient perspective, the very sharp transients might work better with automatic de-clicking algorithms. I'm also wondering what noise removal sounds like on the LT's self noise. Does Cedar, Algorithmix, Diamond Cut, etc., work well or poorly on the LT background noise. Both of these processes might be used as part of a reissue project as opposed to an access project. Thanks again for a great review. Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/ Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX