Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:12:00 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: [MLA-L] Requesting feedback on laser turntables
Comments: To: ARSC List <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

I'm taking the liberty of forwarding this to the ARSC list. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Henry" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:04 PM Subject: [MLA-L] Requesting feedback on laser turntables > Hello everybody, > > Has anyone out there purchased/considered purchasing/used a "laser > turntable" made by ELP of Japan? Our library administration is > considering purchasing such a device and has asked the music library for > feedback. I haven't had much luck finding print reviews, and the > reviews I've found on Websites tend to be rather dodgy and come to some > wildly differing conclusions. > > We would be using the laser turntable for preparing streaming audio > course reserves. The material we would be working with is slightly rare > in that it has not been reissued on CD, but none of the LPs are precious > resources or anything, so wear and tear isn't a major concern. I > suppose digital technology would streamline the digitization process, > but I'm not sure that justifies the >$10,000 price tag. There doesn't > seem to be any consensus about sound quality produced by the laser > turntable as compared to a conventional turntable. I am also especially > concerned about maintenance and repair, since ELP is the only company > that services the turntables, and they are only in Japan. > > I would appreciate any comments, and thanks in advance. > > Steve > > > -- > > > Steve Henry > Assistant Music Librarian > Theodore M. Finney Music Library > University of Pittsburgh > B30 Music Building > Pittsburgh, PA 15260 > 412-624-4128 > [log in to unmask] > > > ************************************************************************* > To leave MLA-L, send the command SIGNOFF MLA-L to > [log in to unmask] or send an e-mail message to > [log in to unmask] To suspend mail temporarily, send the > command SET MLA-L NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] The MLA > homepage is located at http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/ > > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.10.3 - Release Date: 4/25/2005 > -- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.10.3 - Release Date: 4/25/2005