Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:02:56 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Klara Foeller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Spacers for 16" electrical transcriptions

I like the Gaylord boxes, too. Metal Edge makes boxes that are too big and very heavy to lift when full. Gaylord also sells spacers made out of the same acid free cardboard they make the 16" boxes. I use two of these spacers with blocks of styrofoam glued between to build thick and nearly weightless spacers, but I use these only when transporting the disks. I prefer to pack the boxes full. Klara Foeller, Curator Moving Image & Sound Collections Missouri Historical Society Richard Warren wrote: > Hello, > > You might consider the heavy card metal-edged boxes available from > Gaylord > or Metal-Edge for 16" discs. They are about 3 inches wide and not too > heavy > even when full. > > I'd recommend staying away from Styro- or other types of foam: they might > exude harmful gasses, decompose, or manage to stick to and ruin the > records, as those yellow-decaying-to-brown foam squares used to do > (used by > ACharlin, DGG, Philips, and others inside LP jackets.. > > Richard Warren > > At 03:17 PM 4/14/2005 -0400, you wrote: > >> I am looking for spacers I can put between 16" electrical transcriptions >> for extra protection and to keep the boxes from getting too heavy. I >> would need something large enough to support a 16" transcription and >> relatively thick but light. >> >> I was thinking of maybe some sort of Styrofoam sheet but am not sure if >> this s material is safe to use over the long-term or where I could find >> it to the specifications desired. >> >> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. >> >> Thanks in advance, >> >> Jay >> >> ______________________________ >> Jay Gaidmore >> Private Papers Program Manager >> The Library of Virginia >> 800 E. Broad St. >> Richmond, Virginia 23219 >> (804) 692-3629 >> Fax (804) 692-3603 >> [log in to unmask] > > >