Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004)Back to main EAD pageJoin or leave EADReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:30:21 -0800
Sender:       Encoded Archival Description List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Mark Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Printing EAD docs
Comments: To: Encoded Archival Description List <[log in to unmask]>

This is a good point. You might also try changing the output encoding to iso-8859-1. If you are using only latin based characters, then this might do the trick for you. Your printer may not be able to interpret utf codes. To do this, towards the top of your stylesheet, find the xsl:output statement and add this attribute and string: encoding="iso-8859-1" e.g. <xsl:output method="html" encoding="iso-8859-1"/> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Mike Ferrando wrote: > Nicole S., > My experience is that if pages are not printing, more than likely the > drivers are not correctly installed. > > Usually this occurs only with pages that have non-ASCII characters in > them. I have a printer that does the same thing. > > The inability to render the character into a font code point is what > stops the pages from continuing to print. You recieve an incomplete > document. > > One word of caution: if this is the case, that is your primary > printer for your workstation does not have the proper drivers to > render the font code points for multi-byte characters, you need to > make a printer that does work the primary printer. The result will be > that you may not get the multi-byte characters to render in your PDF > creations on that workstation. > > You can test this scenerio by checking your EAD for multi-byte > characters. Let's say that your EAD will not print page 4 and beyond, > check page 3. If page three has no multi-byte characters, put one in > page 3 and try to print that page. > > Hope this makes sense. > > Mike Ferrando > Library Technician > Music Division > Library of Congress > Washington, DC > 202-707-4454 > > > --- "<Nicole H. Scalessa>" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > >> Dear List: >> I have had an unusual problem printing EAD docs that are >> viewed in both xml and html (using both explorer & firefox in >> XMetal or NoteTab) - the last page or last few pages do not >> print. >> >> At first I suspected it was the stylesheet but this only >> occurs in about a 1/3 of my EAD docs (out of a batch of about >> 90 files). I cannot see anything unusual or different between >> the files that print completely and those that do not. >> >> First I have tried converting the docs to PDF but the pages >> that would not print do not convert/therefore are missing from >> the pdf. >> >> Then I opened the files in Dreamweaver and was able to print >> the code view but when printed in preview mode using Explorer >> and Firefox the last few pages still refused to print. >> >> Then I bypassed Dreamweaver, NoteTab, & XMetal and just opened >> the files directly from Explorer and FireFox and the same >> problem occured. >> >> I've ruled out that it is my computer settings because my >> coworkers have tried on their computers with the same results. >> >> Has anyone had this problem. I am very frustrated and running >> out of ideas. >> >> Nicole Scalessa >> >> EAD Intern >> Swarthmore College >> & >> IT Manager & Reference Librarian >> The Library Company of Philadelphia >> > > > > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. Learn more. > http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250 >