Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:15:37 +1100
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Alan Kent <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Betr.: Re: ZiNG
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 12:55:29PM +0100, Theo van Veen wrote: > Considering all the discussion on responseSchema I want to give some > additional comments: > 1) I agree that there should be no negociation between client and > server. The requesting message could contain a request which perhaps > can not be fulfilled, but in that case the client should accept the > response as it is, without negociation. I agree with this. > 2) There will not be "lots of" options, but that are some that can be > foreseen (like the result of a scan or a fuzzy match). These options > should be nillable tags in the response but the response will still > have same responseSchema. I think I agree with this. Scanning has not been looked at yet. Fuzzy match may be more of a query language issue. Term highlighting is an interesting one to me (but probably not other people). > 3) Maybe we should drop the term "responseSchema" but instead there may > be a need for a parameter, by which the client can have some influence > on which optional tags are in the response. E.g . "responseModifier" or > something like that. I think responseSchema should go. I think replace 'responseModifier' with 'element set name' and we are in complete agreement. > 4) We could define a tag sibling to <records> containing the optional > tags. This optional tag can be processed in the same way as > <recordData>, the syntax of which isn't defined in WDSL either. Could you give an example of what this would be used for? I am thinking that to keep things simple, why not just require applications to merge such 'other' details into the record itself? Why have a second field? A concrete example would be useful to me as to why this could not be done. Alan