Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002)Back to main ZNG pageJoin or leave ZNGReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:50:47 +1100
Sender:       "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Alan Kent <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: ZiNG
Comments: To: "Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative" <[log in to unmask]>

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 03:43:02PM -0500, LeVan,Ralph wrote: > ... In the best of all > worlds, the response is not an XML record with a schema but is a complex > searchResponse object with a number of data fields in it, one of which is a > vector of strings, each string containing an XML response record. > > If we can't get folks to agree to that, then I can live with a single > responseSchema and I'll parse the response myself. (But I'd prefer to let > SOAP do that for me!) > > Ralph I agree 100%. I think SOAP toolkits should be able handle most of the request. Personally I think SRW should have its best shot at producing a useful 'response schema' based on all the Z39.50 knowledge gained. I do not see the need to put in lots of optional bits. That is one of the things that makes Z39.50 such a pain to implement - there are so many optional bits that you might have to worry about because someone else has used this optional bit but you have used that optional bit. (No deep criticism intended here - more an observation). If people really really need a new request, then we can look at changing the definition. Or adding a new method. However until then, I would be aiming at keeping it small and simple for the infrastructure. Element set names to me are an orthogonal issue. I personally can see the value in element set names. For efficiency, it is useful to be able to drag back "brief" versions of 20 records for summary lists. Dragging back the full records can waste a lot of network traffic. But I am not too stressed either way. I guess it depends on if the format of the record schema string and how it is standardised. For example, you *could* define different record schema names for the full and brief versions, but that feels pretty grungy. So I would not object to putting in element set names. But I would not cry if they were not there. Mind you, I personally would also not mind support for cross database searching as well. But I remember there were some very strong opinions against this. I think the argument was along the lines that since all databases might not be on the one server, the client needs to support sending multiple query packets anyway. If combinations are common, you can also define an 'alias' on a server so the server does the distribution across multiple databases. So I guess I should just close my mouth on this one. Maybe the point is that we should keep features out that don't completely solve a problem (such as searching multiple databases in a single packet), but maybe we should consider features more seriously if there is no other clean way of supporting the functionality when there is real benefit in the functionality (and I consider network performance to be a real benefit). Alan